What the hell is this? Disney has released the first trailer for their upcoming live-action remake of Aladdin! Set to debut in theaters May 24, 2019, and starring Will Smith as The Genie. My god, Disney appears to have made a major misstep with releasing a teaser trailer for this film so early. If you're not ready to tease anything, or to show anything, just wait and release something when you're ready.
Check out the first official teaser below and let us here all your thoughts in the comments about this cringe worthy teaser.
What an awful teaser! Let's break it down:
- The first 26 seconds is mostly just sand dunes
- The next 6 seconds is just a black screen
- A very dimly lit shot of a CGI Iago flying at night
- We see the Cave of Wonders and hear it speak, but it's hard to make out what the dang Cave of Wonders is actually saying
- A quick shot inside the Cave, featuring lots of treasure
- 8 seconds spent on the title treatment
- A quick shot of Aladdin (Mena Massoud) finding the Genie's lamp
- Two pages of credits, neither of which name any of the cast except Will Smith